The “Art” of Qualitative M.R.
If you appreciate this quote from David Allen, you will also value the information in the articles that follow:
Small things, done consistently, in strategic places, create major impact.
I hope that you find these articles to be useful. I invite you to share them freely.
Table of Contents
Chapter One – Setting Up a Study
- Defining Deep & Detailed Study Objectives
- “Four Questions” that qualitative market research can answer
- Comparing the Primary Qualitative Market Research Methodologies
- Selecting the Best Qualitative Methodologies
- “Real-Time” Qualitative in Three Not-So-Simple Steps
- Selecting Markets for a Qualitative Market Research Study
- Concurrent Focus Groups – a Highly Efficient Strategy
- Market Research Road Warrior Travel Tips
Chapter 2 – Developing Screeners, Discussion Guides and Supporting Documents
- Creating a Recruiting Screener
- Creating a Discussion Guide
- How to Ruin a Discussion Guide and Jeopardize Your Study Outcome
- Getting the Details – Creating Useful Worksheets
Chapter 3 – Field Management - Recruiting and Other Logistical Needs
- Managing a Recruit – Best Practices
- The “Art” of Field Management – An Interview
- Good vs. Bad Recruiting – A Story of Two Facilities
- 60,000 emails yields (Guess… how many?) respondents
- A Personal “Living Room” Conversation
- It’s the Food! My Challenge to Market Research Facilities
Chapter 4 – Debriefing, Report Writing and Final Presentations
- Managing the Debrief
- Effective Report Writing for Qualitative Market Research
- Documenting Qualitative Market Research with a Highlight Video
- Documenting Market Research with a Dynamic Debrief
Chapter 5 – Tips for Different Types of Qualitative Studies
- Usability testing – When is your website “good enough”?
- Phases of Usability Testing
- Assessing, Monitoring and Maintaining Your Company’s Online Presence
- Qual/Quant Hybrid Studies – Best of Both Worlds?
- Research With Thought Leaders vs. Social Networking Influencers
- Testing Consumer Electronic and Medical Devices
- Using Smart Phones for Market Research
- An Excellent Example of Perceptual Modeling
- Gathering Ongoing Feedback From Small Expert “Panels”
- Internal Market Research – Leveraging the Wisdom of Your Company Employees
- Brainstorming – Increasing Creativity and the Quantity and Usefulness of Ideas
- Overcoming the Sequential Response Limitation of Online Bulletin Boards – How to Generate Richer Online Text “Discussions”
- Linking Emotions, Needs and Behaviors – A New Qualitative MR Technique
More to come!
Additional perspective on this information…
This information is different from the hilarious 5-minute university conceived of by the actor Don Novello in Father Guido Sarducci’s Five-Minute University, where in five minutes you learn everything the average college graduate remembers five years after graduation.
It is also different from a basic primer that defines every term and reviews every detail related to conducting qualitative market research studies.
These articles are intended for those who are familiar with the basics of qualitative market research. They provide ideas to refine the ordinary actions related to conducting studies in ways that elicit extraordinary results.
The information comes from my more than 15 years of experience conceiving, setting up, managing, executing, analyzing and documenting over 500 market research projects.
This is a work in progress. This page will be updated as the articles are revised and written.
Subscribing by RSS feed or email (see the buttons at the top of the right side menu) provides you with a notification about each new post to this blog.